Social Media Editor
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE), a leading nonpartisan think tank located at Dupont Circle, Washington, DC, seeks to fill the position of Social Media Editor to help disseminate in-depth economic research across social media platforms while promoting the Institute’s identity. Join a nimble and growing communications team that takes pride in producing news-driven, fact-based, and creative content for policymakers, journalists, global business leaders, and the general public.
The Social Media Editor is responsible for managing PIIE’s social media accounts, developing timely, platform-specific messaging and content, and finding opportunities to grow PIIE’s social media presence. He or she will work closely with the communications team—especially the Digital Producer, Visual Designer, and Advertising Manager—with plentiful opportunities to pitch original ideas and have an impact on the public’s understanding of major issues of the day. The Social Media Editor must be able to break down complex research, reports, and data into more accessible formats while maintaining accuracy and a consistent voice. He or she will monitor the news, social media landscape, metrics, and the latest research on impact of various forms to make editorial decisions and connect with target audiences. A background in journalism, communications, or economics is desired. Marketing experience is a plus.
- Manage the daily publication of all social media content with attention to detail and editorial judgment. This includes planning, scheduling, and crafting messaging that distills data and complex ideas into understandable language while promoting PIIE’s brand identity as a highly respected source of research and commentary.
- Develop new platform-specific multimedia content, in collaboration with team members and researchers, that is conducive to social media sharing.
- Monitor accounts and analytics to build community engagement.
- Stay informed on research, news, and policy developments, as well as social media best practices and strategies for storytelling.
- Contribute ideas to the organization’s broadening effort to build outreach of its research and brand, including new initiatives for social platforms and advertising.
Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, economics, or similar field.
- Minimum four years of experience working with social media platforms. Must demonstrate high level of responsibility in curating and writing social media content.
- Strong skills in communication, proofreading, editorial judgment, writing, and publishing.
- Established record of working well with teams and individually.
- Ability to transform complex information into short, digestible, and shareable content, including multimedia.
- Ability and willingness to quickly adapt to new technologies.
- Experience with social media management tools (i.e., Hootsuite, Sproutsocial, Bit.ly) and reporting social media analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.).
This person will typically sit at a desk for long periods of time throughout the day and use a computer to include monitor, mouse and keyboard. Some walking to and from various offices, the copy and fax machine will be required. Some bending and stooping may be necessary to do filing. Occasionally may be expected to lift boxes of up to 25 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is a moderately open one with a combination of cubicles and offices. The noise level is generally quiet. The office, lavatories and building are all handicapped accessible. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Monday thru Friday – 40 hours per week. Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the business.
Please submit your cover letter (include salary expectations) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org