Effective as of November 2016
- Information We Collect.
- Technical Information gathered automatically. When you browse our Website, you do so anonymously. Generic information from server logs is used to track the number of hits to the Website and to find out what types of browser software and operating systems visitors use.
- Personal Information you provide to us. On various pages of the Website, you may have an opportunity to provide information to us about yourself, such as your name, address, phone number and email address. You may provide this information when you register with the Website or send a message through the Website. In addition, requests to join our mailing list(s) or receive information or materials from Peterson Institute will involve the collection of your email address or postal address.
- Use of Information. Parts of the Website are informational in nature and publicly available to all users. Consequently, until you participate in surveys, chats, programs, or events, register, or request information from Peterson Institute, you are able to browse the Website without providing any PII, although your browser may tell us what type of computer and operating system you are using as well as other kinds of technical information. Below, Peterson Institute sets forth more detail on how Peterson Institute uses your PII.
- Personal and Contact Information: Peterson Institute may use your personal and contact information to operate the Website and, in particular, facilitate the education, community, and networking capabilities of the Website, advertise its services and the goods and services of its members and third parties, create a personalized experience for you, provide you with news and information, contact you regarding a survey, get in touch with you when necessary with respect to transactions conducted through the Website, material changes in the Website’s policies and agreements, new products, tools, or services Peterson Institute may offer, or otherwise. Peterson Institute may also share your contact information with Peterson Institute’s members, service providers, or business partners, as is necessary to provide Peterson Institute's services and information, for advertising purposes, to host, operate, or facilitate transactions through the Website, including, without limitation, registration for membership, events, or for internal business purposes. In addition, Peterson Institute may supplement the PII collected from you with information from other sources, such as from business partners, in order to enhance Peterson Institute's ability to provide or advertise its services or those of other entities or to otherwise tailor, manage, or operate the Website.
- Demographic Information: Peterson Institute may share demographic data on an aggregated basis, which will not identify any particular user, with Peterson Institute's members, partners and affiliates and for advertising or other technical or business purposes.
- Survey Results: Peterson Institute may share survey results collected through the Website with its business partners, members, and affiliates and/or the general public, the news media, and with the U.S. Government and state governments, not only for business or marketing purposes or as may be required by law, but also to participate in government programs and initiatives.
- Technical Information: Peterson Institute will use this information to facilitate educational opportunities, participation, or otherwise allow access to or use of certain information, tools, or features and for improving the Website’s performance, usability and design. Peterson Institute may also use technical information to help diagnose problems with Peterson Institute's servers, analyze Website usage trends, track user movements on the Website, and to otherwise manage and monitor the Website.
- Legal Action: Peterson Institute may disclose PII when legally required to do so in accordance with government requests or regulations or legal proceedings. Peterson Institute may also disclose PII to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Website or as is otherwise required to limit legal liability, protect or defend Peterson Institute's rights, property, or interests, or protect the safety, rights, or property of Peterson Institute’s users.
- Children’s Privacy. Peterson Institute cares about the safety of children on the Website and encourages parents and guardians to monitor their children’s use of the Internet. Although the Website is suitable for a general audience, this Website is intended for use only by users who are over 13 years of age. Accordingly, Peterson Institute does not knowingly solicit PII from children under the age of 13 and reserves the right to limit participation in particular activities on or through Website to individuals above a certain age.
- Third Parties. We may use analytics services provided by third parties, including Google Analytics. To learn more about how Google Analytics collects and processes data and the choices Google may offer to control these activities, visit https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/partners.
- Collection of Information by Third-Party Websites. We sometimes may offer content (e.g., promotions) that is sponsored by or co-branded with an identified third party. In these instances, the third party may obtain information that you voluntarily submit to participate in a site activity. We have no control over the third party’s use of this information. The Website will notify you at the time of information collection if a third party will obtain such information.
- Your Choices. We may use the PII we collect from you to provide requested information or materials or to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you. If you would like to opt out of future promotional materials from us, you may indicate this preference by following the unsubscribe instructions at the end of such communications or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data Security. We have implemented commercially reasonable technical and organizational security measures to protect PII submitted to us against accidental loss, unauthorized access, misuse, disclosure, or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our Website and that is under our control. Please be aware, however, that no method of data transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic data storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your PII, we cannot guarantee the absolute security, integrity, and privacy of any or all information exchanged between you and us through the Website. We make no warranty, express, implied, or otherwise, that we will prevent unauthorized access to or use of your PII.
- California Privacy Rights. California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of the Website who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write to us at the address below.
- Contacting Us. Comments or questions can be directed to the Peterson Institute for International Economics by using our contact information. We will respond to reasonable requests (as determined by Peterson Institute for International Economics staff) for information as rapidly as possible, subject to both our discretion and legal limitations.
You may contact us at: Peterson Institute for International Economics, 1800 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Second Floor, Washington, DC 20036 (email@example.com (email) or 202.328.9000 (phone))